Stay up to date on all your local community news on KOZI.
The morning edition is from 7 to 8:45 a.m.
Don’t forget to tune in for our News at Noon, and the evening edition at 5 p.m.
For quick news on the go, listen to our news minutes at the top and bottom of every hour
from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
|Shore To Shore Finalists
MANSON — Wenatchee's Lynda Finegold held off British Columbia's Tara Colpitts to capture the women's half-marathon title in the annual Lake Chelan Shore to Shore running event on Saturday morning.
Finegold, 41, just two weeks removed from competing in Ironman Canada, completed the 13.1-mile course in 1 hour, 30 minutes and 21 seconds. Colpitts, 32, of Whistler, B.C., was close behind with a time of 1:30:50.
In the men's half-marathon, Andy Johnson, 25, of Wenatchee, won in a time of 1:24:31, besting 18-year-old Marcus Vanderholm of Manson by 52 seconds (1:25:23).
In the Shore to Shore marathon race, Mountlake Terrace's Andrew Boone, 33, swept to the men's title in 3:02:53, and West Richland's Hope Fox, 38, was first among women in 3:33:19.
Jeffrey England, 33, of Manson, won the men's 10K event in 39:03. SpokaneValley's Lori Buratto, 42, took first in the women's 10K in 41.33.
About 400 runners registered for the three races, double the number that participated a year ago. Runners were bused from Manson to the three starting points — the marathon near Fields Point Landing on the lake's shore shore; the half-marathon near Karma Vineyards on the south shore; and the 10K adjacent to the Chelan Shores development on the north shore. From those spots, runners headed back to Manson, finishing on Pedoi Street right above Manson Bay Marina.
Temperatures during the event ranged from the high 50s to the low 70s.
"It was a great day from start to finish," said Joel Rhyner, Lake Chelan Shore to Shore race director. "The thing went off smoothly. The weather cooperated. We had amazing help from our volunteers — beforehand, out on the course, and then afterwards — and I had several participants mention that to me, about how great the volunteers supported the runners. That is extremely gratifying.
"Those who'd never done Shore to Shore before talked a lot about how stunning the views are while running along the lake," added Rhyner, a partner in RunWenatchee, which organized the event. "We are getting more participants from outside the region, so it's great to be able to showcase Lake Chelan."
Typical of the comments was this one posted on the RunWenatchee Facebook wall by Richland's Stephen Mazurkiewicz, who finished fourth in the men's half-marathon: "Super great race. Thank you for all of your efforts in putting on a fantastic event in a beautiful area!"
Below are the top five finishers (men and women) for each race. For complete results, go to http://www.buduracing.com/ and click on the "Lake Chelan Shore to Shore" link.
Lake ChelanShore to Shore
1. Andrew Boone, Mountlake Terrace, 3:02:53
2. Dean Jordan, Hamilton, Mont., 3:15:24
3. Gary Kobold, East Wenatchee, 3:44:08
4. Patrick Grengs, West Richland, 3:53:20
5. James Klarich, Wapato, 4:01:03
1. Hope Fox, West Richland, 3:33:19
2. Marcy Wheeler, Ephrata, 3:54:49
3. Amy Jensen, Bellingham, 3:54:54
4. Nicole Werner, Moscow, Idaho, 3:56:01
5. Stacey LaDoux, Omak, 3:57:20
1. Andy Johnson, Wenatchee, 1:24:31
2. Marcus Vanderholm, Manson, 1:25:23
3. Brandon Hoglund, East Wenatchee, 1:26:59
4. Stephen Mazurkiewicz, Richland, 1:27:47
5. Sam Barnes, Ephrata, 1:30:20
1. Lynda Finegold, Wenatchee, 1:30:21
2. Tara Colpitts, Whistler, B.C., 1:30:50
3. Tauna Shoemaker, Kent, 1:35.:49
4. Terry Ostendorf, Sammamish, 1:37:27
5. Maggie Kerr, Lynnwood, 1:37:31
1. Jeffrey England, Manson, 39:03
2. Steve Brewer, Leavenworth, 47:51
3. Kyle Hudson, Southworth, 51:33
4. Daniel Dufner, MosesLake, 52:20
5. Mark Churchman, East Wenatchee, 52:30
1. Lori Buratto, SpokaneValley, 41:33
2. Colleen Miller, East Wenatchee, 42:14
3. Devin Town, Clarkston, 42:46
4. Niki Kobs, Chelan, 43:36
5. Jenny Gunderson, Ephrata, 46:21