A small grass fire that spread from a debris pile in the Union Valley area Tuesday was quickly controlled by Chelan Fire crews Tuesday afternoon. Then yesterday Chelan Fire and Rescue were called to extinguish another grass and brush fire.
Chelan Fire Chief Tim Lemon reminds people that although the vegetation looks green and damp, there is still a lot of burnable material from last year.
Debris burning is not allowed in the Chelan city limits or within the urban growth area.
If you are planning a debris burn in an approved area, choose a relatively windless day, and create a wide swath around the area. Also keep a shovel and water available and never leave a fire unattended.