The smoke has finally cleared and investigators are sifting through the ashes after an early morning fire yesterday claimed the Historic Market Building in Chelan. The Market Building housed Marcela’s Mexican Restaurant and Willow a home accent boutique store.
According to Chief Tim Lemon of Chelan Fire and Rescue, the initial call came in about midnight indicating smoke coming from the Historic Market Building at 119 East Woodin Avenue. The Market Building housed Marcela’s Mexican Restaurant and Willow a home accent boutique store.
KOZI’s Gary Myers had a chance to talk with Chef Lemon this morning in front of the still smoldering building:
"CLICK HERE" for Audio
The fire was officially ruled out at 5:51 AM. Chelan Fire and Rescue was aided by Manson Fire District 5, Chelan County 1 and the Pateros Fire Department.
The Market Building appears to be a complete loss and both businesses were completely destroyed, although engineers will determine if it will have to be demolished. Two adjoining businesses, The Vogue and The Blue Moon, suffered minor smoke damage but the blaze was contained by a structural fire wall to just the Market Building, and proprietor Mike Cooney says the Vogue is open for business as usual.
The Historic Market Building is owned by Barb Wadkins and Larry Hibbard.